Andres Iniesta has confirmed the beginning of talks with Barcelona over a new contract.
The veteran Spain midfielder, 32, sees his current deal expire in the summer of 2018 and recently stated he wants to finish his career at his one and only club so far.
Iniesta told the Spanish press on Friday that he hopes to resolve the matter quickly to continue his historic reign at the Camp Nou.
Quoted in Sport, he said: “I would be delighted if there was no need to talk about this matter tomorrow.
“We’ve spoken, but I still have a year-and-a-half on my contract. For everything to be calm, the most logical thing would be for it to be done as soon as possible.
“I’ve never had problems and things between me and the club have always been clear. We approach these matters in a discrete way, but with how things are going on the pitch, I’m optimistic for the future.
“I’ve said it a million times (that I want to stay), but the club are in control, not me. I am not the club’s president
“I understand that if my performance and situation is optimal, there won’t be any problems, but it is not something which I can decide on my own. I understand the club have the same thoughts and I hope the next news is that the matter has been closed.”
Iniesta is one of the most successful products of Barcelona’s famous La Masia academy, scoring 42 goals in over 350 senior appearances.
New customer winter madness offer: save over 40% on your Sky Sports Month Pass, just £20
Promote Your Music On This Platform Contact :
Mobile : +2348132090729
Email : email@example.com
Twitter : @ijebuloadedNG