Here are the 21 Facts You Need To Know About Oba Sikiru Adetona, The Awujale Of IjebuLand
Oba Dr.Sikiru Kayode Adetona, the Awujale of Ijebu land is a first-class Oba, elder statesman and one of the longest serving Oba in Nigeria.21 Facts You Need To Know About Oba Sikiru Adetona-Awujale
Below are the 21 facts you need to know about this great king in Yoruba land.
1. His Full name – Oba Sikiru Kayode Adetona
2. Born on May 10, 1934
3. He became the Awujale of Ijebuland, Ogbagba II at the age of 25 in 1960 When just arrived London, trying to settle down to pursue a course in accountancy. 21 Facts You Need To Know About Oba Sikiru Adetona-Awujale
4. He was installed on January 16, 1960 at Itoro hall, Ijebuode. He was presented by the regent, Chief Timothy. Adeola Odutola.
5. He was presented with his staff of office at Itoro grounds on April 2, 1960, by the then Premier, Chief Samuel Ladoke Akintola in the presence of Chief Obafemi Awolowo
6. He took over from Awujale, Oba Gbelegbuwa II
7. He is from the Ogbagba Anikilaya ruling house, one of the four ruling houses that produce the Awujale. Others are Tunwashe, Fidipote, and Gbelegbuwa.
8. The name of his parents: Prince Rufai Adetona and mother, Alhaja Ajibabi Adetona (née Onashile)
9. He attended Baptist School, Ereko, Ijebu Ode; Ogbere United Primary School, Oke Agbo, Ijebu Igbo; and Ansar-Ud-Deen School, Ijebu Ode between 1943 and 1950. For his secondary education, he attended Olu-Iwa (now Adeola Odutola) College, Ijebu Ode from 1951 to 1956.
10. Oba Adetona was earlier nominated along with five others by the ODIS before the kingmakers selected him.
11. He worked with the then Audit Department of the Western Region, Ibadan between 1957 and 1958 and he resigned to study Accountancy in London.
12. Chief Samuel Olatubosun Shonibare was the man who informed him that he was the Oba elect in London.
13. While studying in London,Oba Sikiru lived at 85, Portnall Road, London, West 9.
14. His mode of dressing while in London was a three-piece suit and a tie.
15. Oba Sikiru Adetona does not use horsetail like other Yoruba Obas in greeting,instead,he shake hands with people.
16. On his journey back to Nigeria towards coronation, he was welcomed at the Airport by Mr. Shonibare, Mr. Muri Badmus and Tunde Amuwo.
17. On his arrival, he was drove to Shonibare’s estate,Maryland-Lagos where he stayed till he finally moved to Ijebu-ode for coronation.
18. He wrote his autobiography titled: “Awujale: The Autobiography of Alaiyeluwa Oba SK Adetona, Ogbagba 11”
19. He has several honorary degrees including the Doctor of Law (LL.D) from the University of Technology, Yola; Doctor of Civil Law (D.CL) from Ogun State University, now Olabisi Onabanjo University
20. ‘Awujale served in the Western House of Obas, he has been Chairman of the Ogun State Council of Traditional Rulers, he has served as special envoy to South Africa, also as member of the Political Reform Assembly and as Chancellor of a Federal University,
21. Oba Sikiru Adetona has three wives and nine ChildrenYou Need To Promote Your Music, Video, Products, or Any Promotional Biz, Feel Free To Contact CEO IJEBULOADED via +2348132090729 ( Call & Whatsapp) Or Mail us at Info@Ijebuloaded.com or Ijebuloadedng@gmail.com